Remote - US
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. Twilio Messaging is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our Channels team in the US to work on our messaging platform. To help build one of the fastest growing products at Twilio, you will be developing a complex distributed platform in Scala and will be concerned with availability, throughout, latency, and data integrity. At the core are cloud technologies that enable deployment and management of computing resources globally.
Who?Twilio is looking for versatile software engineers with product thinking eager to bring our cloud-hosted platform to new heights and who lives the Twilio Magic. They also have:
- Scalability and Resilience. You understand scalability challenges and performance of server-side code. You can craft and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems.
- Cloud. You are proficient in cloud technologies and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: GCP, AWS, or Azure. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Testing. You are passionate about quality and can engineer it at all stages of software development. You are able to design and develop quality pipelines requiring as little human intervention as possible.
- Scala. You do not need to be a professional in scala before joining this team, but you will become one. Strong asynchronous programming skills will help you lead others in writing more maintainable code.
What?As a Staff Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: Not every problem has a textbook solution. You will be encouraged to research the unknowns, implement and iterate. Educate your team as you go.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: You will lead the design, implementation and the operations of Conversations backend services, handling millions of requests daily.
- DON’T SETTLE: Live and champion high-quality engineering through writing tests, valuing code maintainability, detailing your work, etc
- WRITE IT DOWN: Twilio is a global, fast-growing company that builds complex systems. To be successful in joining these globally built complex parts of the system, you are expected to write down the analysis, requirements and designs. Doing so helps distill your approach and explain the rationale in a structured and clear manner.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You will primarily collaborate with other Messaging teams based in the United States time zones and other Twilions globally.
Why?The services and APIs developed by the Messaging team are used by thousands of customers in production, both internal and external to Twilio. You will have an opportunity to challenge yourself by building scalable and robust Conversational services in the company for outstanding customers. Our infrastructure powers aspects of Flex and works in concert with Programmable Messaging suite. Our multi-tenant services and APIs provide a solid platform for a variety of use-cases, including mobile workforce, customer support, personal advisors, healthcare, scaling from startup to enterprise solutions.
Where?This position will be located in the United States and has team members in San Francisco and Denver. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive environment that motivates everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
About UsMillions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Denver/Boulder Metro:Salary Range: $132,928- $182,776
Rest of Colorado:Salary Range: $116,312- $159,929
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are a key component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks