Principal ArchitectFlexible / dynamic remote working, with visits to projects & our Dartford Design Centre
Laing O'Rourke's Technical Function provides consistent technical assurance and diligence across our work winning, live and legacy projects. It is a multidisciplinary group whose work is focused predominantly on identifying risk, opportunity and design mitigations in projects at RIBA Stage 3 / 4 during Bid and PCSA phases.
The Architecture and Facades Group within the Technical Function helps to drive the Design Integration and Innovation agenda that sits at the heart of our Construction offering.
We are looking to grow its capability and resource to cover a rapidly growing workload from successful bids, PCSA appointments and live projects and are seeking a talented and technically capable Principal Architect to join our team.
- Working with LOR's self-delivery stakeholders and external consultants to determine the optimal facade, frame and MEP integrated solutions that will deliver competitive advantage whilst responding to the clients brief when assisting Bid and PCSA teams.
- Rapid Production of reports with 2d and 3d explanations of technical challenges, risks opportunities, mitigations and systems that the Technical Function considers should be addressed for Blueprints, Bids, PCSA, Self -delivery facade products and strategic live projects.
- Assisting with the current innovation and product development work being undertaken by the Architecture and facades team.
- Contributing to production of internal technical notes and R&D initiatives.
- Carrying out site inspections, factory visits, witnessing of mock-ups and testing and preparing technical reports.
- Managing and mentoring junior members of the team.
What do we look for?Professional Qualifications: Part 1 + 2 degree + Part 3 Professional practice in Architectural Design or similar.
- 2d and 3d drafting and modelling capability in Autocad, Rhino and Revit.
- Ability to draw clear freehand sketch details to resolve details or layout and coordination issues.
- A keen interest in Technical detailing and building technology, and the Technical implications of Sustainability in construction.
- Proven experience in Architectural design and detailing in a consulting or construction capacity.
- Knowledge of the engineering Principles of facades /frames and Services systems.
- An understanding and interest in the building physics that form the basis of current Part L and Document B building regulations.
- Ability to quickly identify unacceptable discontinuity/interface/performance risks implied in consultants design intents and supply chain proposals, and proactively suggest practical changes/improvements.
Why Laing O'Rourke?
- Exposure to the largest, most complex and innovative projects in the industry and a culture that nurtures passion and expertise in next generation construction methods and technology.
- World class remuneration and benefits package & commitment to extensive training, development and long-term career progression.
- We really value difference at Laing O'Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation. We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel respected & valued for being themselves.
- With a heritage spanning over 160 years, Laing O'Rourke is an internationally focused engineering enterprise with world-class capabilities. We operate an integrated business model comprising the full range of engineering, construction and asset management services delivering single-source solutions for some of the world's most prestigious public and private organisations.
For further details of our Offsite Journey watch here:
We really value difference at Laing O'Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation. We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel respected & valued for being themselves.
Talk to us about flexible, dynamic and part time working. We want to ensure our recruitment process is accessible to all. If you need the application form in an alternative format or you would like to know more about our recruitment process please email